I am my harshest critic, and often beat myself for the little things I do wrong…I,e, ugh…why did I eat that piece of cake? Are you like me too? We live in a society that tends to focus on the negative. Just look at the news on all those reality shows! We are often criticizing others or ourselves. In my work as a therapist, many women I treat who suffer from anxiety often have a running tape of negative self talk. It’s normal for them to self criticize and judge themselves. When they ask me how to change I tell them–“It’s a process of telling yourself alternate messages..,.What other messages can you tell yourself instead of X.” I do think positive thinking is powerful, and I do think people should appreciate and praise themselves for things they do right. This is healthy and people shouldn’t feel guilty.
The momentum continues as every week I try to break a habit and pick up something healthy. Here are the little things I did RIGHT this week in diet and exercise:
- Have not eaten white rice this week (you know this is hard since I’m Asian!)–tomorrow is my mom’s birthday, and we will have a Dim Sum brunch—that is the only time I will eat white rice. Side story–my freshman year in college, it’s common for co-eds to gain the “freshman 15”, well I was the opposite–I lost 15! I’m convinced that it was because I didn’t have access to white rice! That and that I was walking everywhere!
- My 0nly cookie day was Monday–which I had 3 Girl Scout cookie thin mints. No night cookies in 5 days! I’ve replaced my sugar fix with a cup of strawberries or a small carrot/orange/apple/mint shake.
- Breakfast every day has been consistent and healthy!
- I have used up my salad in refrigerator! All the romaine, arugula has been consumed! Often times, I would waste bags of salads and fresh veggies. Just money down the drain. Has anybody every went for a long grocery run only to just go through the fast food drive-thru?! That was me a while back.
- I continue to log in my all my meals on the Myfitnesspal app–I’ve logged in 16 days in a row.
- I have worked out 6 days consecutively (2nd week in a row), and 6 of the 6 days have been 45 minutes -1 hour of cardio. There has been supplemental weight training about 4 of those 6 days. (Most proud of!)
- I have officially been indoor cycling/spinning for one month!
Things to work on next week:
- Cut the sips of Coke—I never finish the can–and it’s so wasteful.
- Trash all the things in the pantry that are cookies, chips, and other unhealthy foods–that includes Ramen too! And maybe even the Nutella spread!
- Get a foot massage! All these leg workouts–they need r&r too!
- Drink more water!
- Take a long walk….always good for reflection.
Let’s Do This! #gettingtofit2015 #justsweat #nomorecookiemonster #thinkpositivenow
This week I challenge you: Stop beating up yourself…Move forward with the positive. What are the things you are doing right?! or What are the things you are GOING TO DO RIGHT TODAY?